With 45 Lasers, good wind and great help on the race committee and in the kitchen, we couldn’t have asked for a better weekend at the 31st Chesapeake Bay Laser Masters Championship. John MacCausland from Cooper River Yacht Club came away the overall winner of the 7 race series. John bested masters sailors in various age groups, all over the age of 35, hailing from MI, MA, NY, NJ, OH, PA, VA, NC, MD, and Washington DC.
Racing got off to a slow start on Saturday when the competitors drifted to the race course in a light northerly. 3 hours and a couple blown off starts later the wind finally settled in from the east at 6-8 knots allowing us to sail 3 races in the late afternoon. John MacCausland, Gavin O’Hare (Eastport Yacht Club) and Mike Schmidt (Magothy River Sailing Association) all took bullets in Saturday’s races.
Off the water Saturday night chef Alain Vincey prepared Osso Buco for the sailors, race committee and guests.
Sunday’s racing saw far better conditions with the wind starting around 8 and building to 14 out of the south-south west. The long courses gave the sailors plenty of room to spread out make moves. Sailing his way to the title John MacCausland picked up two more bullets while Gavin O’Hare got another and Bob Tan (Severn Sailing Association) added a bullet to his best 2nd place on Saturday.
Results for each Category:
Apprentice Master (35-44)
1. Gavin O’Hare (Eastport Yacht Club)
2. Dorian Haldeman (Severn Sailing Association
3. Kent Leverich
1. John MacCausland (Cooper River Yacht Club) *overall winner
2. Mike Schmidt (Magothy River Sailing Association)
3. Henry Amthor (Hampton Yacht Club)
Grand Master (55-64)
1. Michael Moore (Diego Garcia Yacht Club)
2. Had Brick (Island Heights Yacht Club) *2008 Champion
3. Don Hahl (Brant Beach Yacht Club)
Great Grand Master (65+)
1. Newton Wattis (Surf City Yacht Club)
2. Lindsay Hewett (Cold Spring Harbor Beach Club)
3. Roger Link (West River Sailing Club)
1. Sandy Westphal (Severn Sailing Association)
2. Dorian Haldeman (Severn Sailing Association)
Not only was the competition fierce, but so was the Race Committee. They did a fantastic job all weekend with some tough winds and weren’t afraid to tame the fleet with the Z-flag for all 4 races on Sunday. Big thanks to Rick Klein, Ric Bauer, Sharon Bauer, Catherine Clark, David Clark, Philip Kenny, Ruthanna Jenkins, Ron Jenkins, Mike Dale, Geoff Cahill, Barb Guenther, John Beery, Roger Craver & Becky Dale.
The Laser Fleet members came through as well including Mike Toms, Brad Squires, James Jacob, Alain Vincey, Anthony Burton, Richard Biggs, Frank Murphy & Len Guenther who provided excellent breakfasts and dinners for the sailors.
Thanks again to all of the sailors who came. We look forward to having you back next year for the 32nd!